cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] slightly OT: academic legal theory behind the 'human readable' licenses?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Luis Villa" <luis AT tieguy.org>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] slightly OT: academic legal theory behind the 'human readable' licenses?
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 16:42:05 -0500

Hey, all (but really primarily to the lawyers on the list :)-

As I was stumbling through Contracts this morning (specifically, a
lecture on interpretation of contracts) I was reminded of the human
readable versions of CC contracts/licenses. The question that came to
mind: were those inspired by any particular strain of academic thought
on license legibility/usability? Or did they just come out of a
general ease-of-use impulse? If there was a strain of academic thought
on the issue that was inspirational or otherwise important, any
pointers to where I could start reading?

Thanks in advance- let me know if my question itself is incomprehensible :)
Luis