cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] license draft usage scenario questions

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] license draft usage scenario questions
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 12:34:50 -0600

Jörg Zastrau wrote:
Larry Lerner is technologically impaired. He likes to listen to some
by-sa licensed audio on his DRM-enabled device. He has a personal key
that allows him to sign off non-DRM work and use it on his device.
He relies on me as a friend that I download the work on his device as
he has no clue how to do it himself.

I take his device to my home, sign-off the by-sa licensed work and
return the device now loaded with the by-sa-drm work back to Larry.

(this is what I called "private distribution")

I don't think that is distribution at all: you are acting as Larry's agent, moving his property from one form/machine to another.

I mean, his device didn't "become your property" just because it was physically in your possession, so why should the content on it?

Cheers,
Terry