cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] choosing a new license at freesound, please help

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] choosing a new license at freesound, please help
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 20:58:21 -0400 (EDT)

> Some freesound samples are long ( > 3 minutes ) of sounds "observed" by
> someone on the street. I don't know if there is any legal difference
> between the 100 millisecond sound of a bass drum and 3 minutes of the
> sound of children playing in the fairground.

I swear I recall reading somewhere long ago that a sound
recording of a thunderstorm or waves crashing on a beach
was not copyrightable because there was no human expression
involved.

Other sounds from people and such might get covered,
but I thought there had to be some level of human
"expression" to be copyrightable.

--
Take the Courage Vow
http://www.couragevow.com/