cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Does data mining count as creating a derivative work?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Bradley Skaggs" <bradley.skaggs AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Does data mining count as creating a derivative work?
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 20:11:52 -0400

I want to create a TV show recommendation engine.  For it, I need lots and lots of information about TV shows.  Fortuntely, there exists a wiki with the exact facts I need: <http://tviv.org/ >  It's under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Here's my question: I want to do data mining on this wiki to generate a database (for example, a list of links between TV show articles, and the category of the articles, but not the content of the articles) to create a database of related TV shows.  The database would back a website that, when you enter one or more tv show names, would generate a list of others you might like.  Would this be considered sufficiently different that I could sell this service for a fee?  Could I sell my database?  Could I make this service free, but make the site ad-supported?

I appreciate your thoughts!

--Brad