cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Debian and Creative Commons

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen AT iki.fi>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Debian and Creative Commons
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 18:22:27 +0300

On Oct 13, 2006, at 14:39, Clive Menzies wrote:

So is the Debian objection based on allowing DRM locally?

My understanding is that the remaining one issue that Debian has is that Debian wants both CC-by 3.0 and CC-by-sa 3.0 to allow the distribution of copies that have TPM applied to them if the distributor also distributes a non-TPMed version for another platform. (The non-TPMed version will in practice be for another platform, because if the platform for which the TPMed version was targeted didn't require TPM, there'd be no need to apply TPM.)

I disagree with Debian on this point. I very much appreciate Debian's effort in getting the other issues Debian had addressed.

(Note that discriminating against platforms that are designed to subvert the freedoms that a license provides is not discrimination against particular people or fields of endeavor unless you count license subversion as a field of endeavor or think that copyleft licenses should not discriminate against people who have a moral conviction against copyleft as an inherent trait of their persona.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen AT iki.fi