cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Please make CCL compatibel with the Debian Free Software Guidelines (DFSG)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Please make CCL compatibel with the Debian Free Software Guidelines (DFSG)
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 13:55:07 -0400 (EDT)

> I am a long term Debian User and Linux Developer (not Debian)
> and like to see the Creative Common Licenses compatible with
> the DFSG (Debian Free Software Guidelines) since I am interested
> in putting stuff into debian which is released under the CCL 2.5
> because it is no documentation and no software.

Parallel distribution allows proprietary monopolization
of CC-SA works on a DRM platform.

The anti-TPM clause keeps the work Free by prohibiting
monopolization, but while allowing users to apply DRM
locally to a work if they wish to do so.

If license compatibility is your only concern, then I
suggest that Debian and CC use the -best- license,
not just 'any license that is compatible'.

Debian can maintain license compatibility by reexamining
its refusal to look at the weaknesses of parallel distribution
and the monopolizations it allows.

Greg
--
Take the Courage Vow