cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Subject: Re: Version 3.0 - List Discussion Responses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <teloscorbin AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Subject: Re: Version 3.0 - List Discussion Responses
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 11:45:17 -0400

On 9/28/06, Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name> wrote:
On Wed, 2006-27-09 at 22:38 -0400, Greg London wrote:
> > Although it's annoying and inconvenient, I think it's still possible for
> > Alice and Bob to exercise their freedoms w/r/t the work.
>
> If it really is so easy to get around DRM, then DRM Dave should
> be prohibited from making DRM versions in the first place,
> and Alice adn Bob should make non-DRM hardware to play
> the works without any DRM restrictions.

I'm not sure I follow why that's the case. It's relatively easy to "get
around" DRM if DRM Dave has to distribute an unencumbered version, too.
That's the whole point of parallel distribution: it lets people exercise
their rights even if the licensee distributes a work with DRM enabled.

Ah, easy because of parallel distribution, not easy to reverse engineer
and create your own hardware platform.