cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Clarification needed regarding collective works & derivative works in the context of podcasts / dj mixes

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Michael Nottebrock <lofi AT freebsd.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Clarification needed regarding collective works & derivative works in the context of podcasts / dj mixes
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 12:46:38 +0200

Mike Linksvayer schrieb:
> On Sat, 2006-09-16 at 03:56 +0200, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
>
>> This is about music released under *-*-noderivs. Do downloadable
>> (podcasted) dj mixes (where one piece of music is usually crossfaded
>> into another, played at a different pitch than the original and the
>> pieces are usually not played in their entire length) constitute a
>> collective work or a derivative work?
>>
>> If they are considered a derivative work, would playing the
>> noderivs-pieces of music at their original pitch, without
>> crossfading/mixing and in their entire length make it a collective work?
>>

> Here's what http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Podcasting_Legal_Guide says:
> [...]
Yes, I found that document as well. The thing of the matter is, however,
a DJ mix is well short of creating bastard pop (mash-ups) and
technically, most podcasts do substantially alter the music they include
at data level (through compression, normalizing, equalizing, talking
over) as well. Now while I do have little doubt that podcasting is
probably something that is meant to be encouraged rather than made
difficult by CC licensing, and I also think that a musician choosing
"noderivs" as part of their license is mostly concerned with preventing
sampling and "bootleg"-remixes and not so much any of it appearing in a
DJ set (after all, especially electronic dance music is, if anything,
made *for* being part of a DJ set), the license and all explanatory
documents I have found so far do leave me in a bit of a limbo.

--
,_, | Michael Nottebrock | lofi AT freebsd.org
(/^ ^\) | FreeBSD - The Power to Serve | http://www.freebsd.org