cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Etiquette regarding attributions and pseudonyms

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Etiquette regarding attributions and pseudonyms
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 10:21:38 -0400 (EDT)

The attribution legal code says you must attribute:

the name of the Original Author
(or pseudonym, if applicable) if supplied,

if the Original Author and/or Licensor designate
another party or parties for attribution
in Licensor's copyright notice, terms of service
or by other reasonable means, the name of such party

the title of the Work if supplied

the Uniform Resource Identifier, if any, that
Licensor specifies to be associated with the Work

which breaks down to:
Name, if supplied
Affiliate Name, if designated
Title, if supplied
URL, if specified

If it isn't called out, you don't have to attribute it.

Where I get a little fuzzy is when the work itself doesn't
contain this information, but the work is made available
under someone's account or something that does contain the
information. Personally, I'd attribute all the stuff supplied
indirectly, but I'm not sure if that's legally required.

Say a movie clip is on Flicker, and the only way to get the
info is to go to the person's account, and the account is a
pseudonym, but they point to their website which lists their
real name.

I'm not sure if that's sufficient to enforce attribution or not,
and if enforcable, I'm not sure if the person could require you
search all the way back to their home page and real name, or
if you could get away with their pseudonym/username and the
URL to the Flicker site.

Personally, I'd recommend everyone embed the information they
want for attribution into the work itself. If attribution is
important, then I think that guarantees you'll get exactly
what you wanted.

It also simplifies things for people who want to use their work,
reducing the overhead they have to go through to meet your license
requirements, and preemptively answers questions like Terry's.

The front page of "Bounty Hunters" says

:This work licensed under the CreativeCommons–Attribution license.
:The following information is provided for attribution purposes:
:Author's Name: Greg London
:Title of Work: Bounty Hunters

And that makes it clear what I want and expect,
and it makes it as easy as it gets for downstream
authors to use my work.

Personally, I'd also try to track down the best attribution
information if it isn't clear what is wanted, but that extra
work may make me decide to not bother with it at all.

Greg