cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Does BY-SA do what I think it does?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Cameron McCormack <cam AT mcc.id.au>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Does BY-SA do what I think it does?
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 11:18:20 +1000

Hi.

I have licensed a javascript library I have written using the BY-SA 2.0
licence. Someone asked if they could use this library in a commercial
setting, and were worried about the SA part of it. This person thinks
that if other, commercial, code uses this library, even in an
unmodified form, that this constitutes a “Derivative Work” and as such
must also be licensed under CC-BY-SA. That is not how I interpreted
the text of the license when I chose it, and wasn’t my intention.
Could someone please clarify this for me?

Thanks,

Cameron

--
Cameron McCormack, http://mcc.id.au/
xmpp:heycam AT jabber.org ▪ ICQ 26955922 ▪ MSN cam AT mcc.id.au