cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Thread break: BY-SA performance and forbidding "bootlegging"?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Thread break: BY-SA performance and forbidding "bootlegging"?
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 08:02:19 -0500

On Friday 18 November 2005 10:01 pm, wiki_tomos wrote:
> I have an impression that performing a work is very explicitly
> dealt with in CC licenses. CC-BY-SA is no exception. If a work is
> under CC-BY-SA, one can perform the work or perform a derivative of
> its work.

This is a bit off topic to the current thread, but I was thinking of this
yesterday while reading this thread and this mention of freedom to perform
seems a good jumping off point for this question.

So, let's say I write a song and release it BY-SA. Now some band comes along
and adds it to their set. Can they forbid recording at events where they
perform my song? (While taking advantage of the BY-SA license mind.)

Can they perform it in a venue that seeks to prevent audience recording?

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22drew%20Roberts%22