cc-licenses - RE: CC licenses legal advice for publishers needed

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Melanie Dulong de Rosnay" <melanie.dulong-de-rosnay AT cersa.org>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: CC licenses legal advice for publishers needed
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 17:52:01 +0200

Hi,

We are also constantly contacted by publishers or project leaders to valid
or draft contracts complementary to CC licences.
It is difficult to explain that we can neither give legal advice nor provide
the full value chain tools for all online distribution cases around CC
licensing.

We were also thinking about providing a template or FAQ for side-contracts,
so that website owners who are not lawyers can draft themselves plain text
copyright licenses to have the authorization to publish author's works under
CC.
But you're right, each situation is unique, and providing a template may
lead to even more questions...

About your first thoughts: I do not understand why publishers should not use
NC, and I agree to differentiate simple use from production with
remuneration, so different templates.
Maybe 3 or 4 use cases could be easily defined.

Can we include this in Harvard agenda discussion?

Thanks,
Melanie from CC France