cc-licenses - Re: RE: Confusion over conflicting licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: wiki_tomos <wiki_tomos AT inter7.jp>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: RE: Confusion over conflicting licenses
  • Date: 2 May 2005 06:14:58 +0900

Hi.

>>How do you know the person who posted the creative work really is the
>>rightful owner of that work?

I understand this quite well, I think. Wikipedia (not a CC-based project, but
a copylefted project) deals with this problem constantly. I have seen all
kinds of
contributions being made, some based on wrong understanding of copyright,
some
seemingly intentional infringement, some based on hasty judgment without
careful
checking of rights subsisting in a work, and so on.

>>The distributor is as liable as the creator in the use of these uncleared
>>samples.

I suppose this is not the case.

Regarding liabilities, CCPL version 1.0 contained some warranties. I am not a
lawyer,
so I cannot determine the exact legal effect of the warranty, but it seems
that,
under some laws, part of the liability goes to the licensor, not the
licensee, if
you are using the CCPL-1.0'd works.

(See, for example, section 5 of this license text:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/1.0/legalcode )

Also, in countries like the U.S. and Japan, I think you can avoid some
liability
risks by being a kind of passive distributor - the one who does not choose
what to
distribute, but simply carries what other people decided to post/ distribute.
Well,
again, I am not a lawyer, so I might be wrong. And even if I am right,
Grokster
case or a new legislation might change the situation.

>>Another practical business problem I see with the CC license is the No DRM
>>restriction.
>>So distribution methods such as encrypted DVDs, digital distribution
>>through commercial
>>sites such as iTunes, digital satellite broadcasts, digital radio
>>broadcasts or even
>>ringtones or ringtunes will violate the CC licenses.

The DRM restriction you are referring to is this part, I suppose :
"You may not distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly
digitally
perform the Work with any technological measures that control access or use
of the
Work in a manner inconsistent with the terms of this License Agreement."
(taken from 4.a of CC-by 2.0)

My impression has been that meaning of this restriction is not very clear.
Some example
might help thining about the scope of the issue:

- Encrypting a work in the process of transmission so that other people
cannot intercept
it. (A part privacy question.)
- Limiting the amount of daily bandwidth usage of server that hosts CCPL'd
works.
- To chose a hosting service with a bandwidth cap for the distribution of
CCPL'd works.
- Block someone's attempt to access my laptop computer via wireless
connection when I have
some CCPL'd works in Shared Documents folder.
- Lock the door to my house so that uninvited strangers cannot come in. (The
classic example.)
- Offering an access to the same file in multiple ways - some requires a
membership, others
don't.

Um.. I am afraid my examples may not be that thought-provoking. But I have
some vague expectation
that not everything that could possibly be argued as technological measures
to control access or
use is really restricted by the license.

Best,

Tomos