cc-licenses - Re: domain of public domain license

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: wiki_tomos <wiki_tomos AT inter7.jp>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: domain of public domain license
  • Date: 13 Apr 2005 08:32:48 +0900

As a non-lawyer who has many questions and not so many answers,
I sometimes wonder if moral rights are really that easy to give up
in the U.S.

I also have some different view about how things are in non-U.S.
country. I happen to know Japanese copyright law and cases,
(though I am not a professional lawyer or anything). So I explain
a bit of what I think I know.

1) U.S.

The United States is a member of the Berne Convention. Berne Convention
includes a provision about moral rights. (See
http://www.law.cornell.edu/treaties/berne/6bis.html ).

In the U.S., the moral rights are not simply ignored, but argued to be
covered mostly through laws other than the copyright law. Certain
moral rights to some works of visual arts are covered by the copyright law,
but most others are by unfair competition law and law regarding libel,
if I remember correctly.

Could that mean, possibly, that you cannot modify a work and place it in a
context that would harm the original author's reputation even in the U.S.,
regardless of the copyright status of the work?

Could that also mean, possibly, that you cannot take someone's work and
mess with attribution just because it is in the public domain?

When people dedicate their works into public domain, i.e. give up
their copyrights, do the "copyrights" include rights to attribution and
rights to integrity? Or are those rights outside of the copyright law
in the U.S. so that simply giving up copyrights does not mean giving
up those rights of attribution & integrity?

I recall a U.S. court case (Smith v. Montoro) in which an actor for a
film was not credited at the end of the show, and someone else's name
was there. He sued and the Circuit court decided (overturning the lower
court's decision) that giving attribution to someone else was against
Lanham Act.

I can cite other court cases that I've read about. But enough for now
to illustrate the question.

My impression so far is that false attribution and defaming modification
is problematic, but simple removal of attribution and non-defaming
modification are okay.

I also remember some of the governmental sites providing photo galleries.
They sometimes ask to give credits to the photographers for those photoes
with photographers' names. Is that a legal requirement for an attribution?

2) Japanese case

Japan has long been a member of Berne Convention, and moral right provisions
have been in its copyright law. There are some cases where seemingly small
modifications were recognized as in violation of the right of integrity.

Those rights are inalienable - authors cannot effectively give up or
transfer those rights, it is said. However, there is a widely practiced
use of "special clause" - authors, in their license agreement/ contract
especially promise not to exercise their right to the licensee. Note this
is not a transferring of giving up, but the author still holds the right,
but simply does not exercise it.

Is this technical go-around legally effective? It seems there is no
court case explicitly dealing with this. A governmental commitee dealing
with copyright reform is taking up the issue of moral rights, along with
a bunch of other issues, so they might make some recommendation. Scholars
are divided on this - some argue the "special clause" is effective only under
certain circumstances, some say moral rights can even be given up (abondoned)
by declaration, etc.

Anyhow, this seems to be a very uncertain area of copyright to me.

By the way, one of the things that cocerns me is the provision that
if a work is modified by others after the death of the author, and
the author would not like the modification, the author's decendants
(up to 2 generations) can take legal action. And as you can imagine,
it could well be virtually impossible to check if any of author A's
grandchildren are alive.

Best,

Tomos