cc-licenses - Re: relicensing rules encoded

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: relicensing rules encoded
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:35:40 -0800

Bjorn Wijers wrote:
I guess this counts as well for all the translated licenses as well...

I only included the 'license code', e.g., by, by-sa, sampling+, etc. I believe one may always use whatever jurisdiction one chooses, so a result of 'by-sa' means that one can use any of 'by-sa/2.0/', 'by-sa/2.0/nl/', 'by-sa/2.0/tw/', etc.

I mean is there any legal basis for say a Dutch legal deed not too allow relicense?

Not that I know of, assuming you're asking if there exists any basis for a jurisdiction-specific license to prohibit a relicensor from using an allowed license written for another jurisdiction. The ShareAlike licenses explicitly allow using the same SA license from another jurisdiction.

Although is its legally no problem isn't confusing for the 'end-user' if the license of a work just changed?

How do you plan on reacting to the latter?

It may be confusing, and some systems may just require users to use the same license a source work used, even if others could be used. I believe this is what http://ccmixter.org does currently.

ps: I haven't introduced myself yet. My name is Bjorn Wijers and I'm part of CC Netherlands. I work for Waag Society and started a few months ago with a music community based on the sharing of CC music..for more info just mail me :)

Welcome!

--
Mike Linksvayer
http://creativecommons.org/about/people#21