cc-licenses - Re: Draft plain-text versions of the Creative Commons licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Draft plain-text versions of the Creative Commons licenses
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 12:42:41 -0800

Evan Prodromou wrote:
The conversion was done as follows:

* I downloaded each of the Creative Commons licenses
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/> and ran the resulting HTML
through html2text
<http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~mbayer/tools/html2text.html> .
* I removed the alt text from the Creative Commons logo, and the
"back to license deed" text.
* I added blank lines between each paragraph, to simulate the
formatting used in the HTML versions.
* I added an underline to the word "License" to identify it as a
sub-heading.
* I added a similar sub-heading, "Creative Commons Notice", to the
trademark restrictions language at the end. The comment that
begins this section in the HTML says "BREAKOUT FOR CC NOTICE. NOT
A PART OF THE LICENSE" and the end of it says "END CC NOTICE". I
guessed that "CC NOTICE" would be best put into the text as
"Creative Commons Notice".

Nice work.

Would be nicer still if all these steps could be handled by invoking a single python function (with legalcode html utf8 string as sole parameter, utf8 preformatted text as return value).

--
Mike Linksvayer
http://creativecommons.org/about/people#21