cc-licenses - Re: What happens to the GPL in FPGA & VLSI implementations?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: What happens to the GPL in FPGA & VLSI implementations?
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 10:19:54 +0000
On 18 Mar 2005, at 20:43, Greg London wrote:

Yes, but the crux of the matter is whether or not
code-turned-into-silicon is a derived work or use.
I'd view it as a cookie-recipe-turned-into-a-cookie,

It's a cookie recipe translated into French and recorded on CD.

Or the film of a book on video tape.

Is loading a program from CD into RAM derivation or use? Is the copy in memory covered by copyright? Howabout if it's Java bytecodes on a ROM and they are then JIT-compiled to native binary?

A compiled FGPA setup or the image for a ROM is a binary, shipping it is distribution. The medium is irrelevent. You could decompile it to the code (or the derived intermediate representaion).

I am very ignorant here, but I will point out that
hardware firewall/router manufacturers are feeling
the GPLs effects.

the link is pretty vague, but it sounded like
violations with embedded software, not the
hardware.

Yes. Hardware is just a medium for software.

There's no vanishing point where someone can still be identifiably using code but the GPL doesn't apply.

If they don't want to get software gratis they can always pay to write their own. ;-)

- Rob.