cc-licenses - Re: Altering CC Licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Altering CC Licenses
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 10:46:59 -0800

Sigmascape1 AT cs.com wrote:
I hope this is not too stupid of a question. Have there been examples of
someone altering a CC license their own, specific use? For example, taking
the Sampling 1.0 License and making it even more flexible or changing the
part of the Sampling licenses so someone may use it for advertising. Just
curious.

I can't think of any off the top of my head. A few people have asked about modifying CC licenses but AFAIK have always ended up using a standard license, deciding the benefits of customization outweigh the costs.

NB CC policy on modifying licenses from http://creativecommons.org/policies :

We do not assert a copyright in the text of our licenses. Modified versions of our licenses, however, should not be labeled as 'Creative Commons.'

--
Mike Linksvayer
http://creativecommons.org/about/people#21

  • Altering CC Licenses, Sigmascape1, 02/09/2005
    • Re: Altering CC Licenses, Mike Linksvayer, 02/09/2005