cc-licenses - [wsn] PIPL Works of the People

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Wyl Newland <wylnewland AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [wsn] PIPL Works of the People
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 17:07:21 -0600

Copyright (c) 2005. Wyl Newland, Philosopher; Newland, Minnesota.
All patent, copyright and trademark rights reserved. This work of the
people, by the PIPL, for the people, shall not perish, according to
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/#PIPL [*1]

Intending no offense to any person and unto the free software
community by means of its mail lists, I extend greetings and thanks.
The above "freedom notice" exemplifies how I hope to tersely prefix
publications of my intellectual property, licensed under the terms and
conditions of what I have dubbed the Peoples Intellectual Property
License (PIPL), which I pronounce as "people". I seek production of
the PIPL license and hosting of its unchanging URL. I will gladly
invest time and money in the PIPL if I am shown the way.

I like the name "PIPL" and do freely place the name under the
stewardship of the place hosting the PIPL. If the host wants to apply
for the PIPL(tm) trademark [*2], please let me know how I can help.
If another name is preferred for its intellectual property umbrella
license, then I will seek a phonetic way to linguistically honor their
chosen name, in the demonstrated manner of the above freedom notice.
I need a persistent URL so I can publicly disclose my patent pending
designs.

I require one simple umbrella intellectual property license to
affix to all my works, including but not limited to public disclosure
of patentable discoveries and embodiment designs. I want to direct
patent royalties towards the free software community or Rotary and
away from myself. Being permitted to disclose my designs and place
them under the stewardship of the free software community is my dream
and a sufficient reward unto itself.

In accordance with Article I, Section 8, Clause 8, of the U.S.
Constitution "To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by
securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive
Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;" the PIPL accepts
the reality of constitutional law and redirects its full power towards
freedom.

If the three core principles of the PIPL are suitably codified the
license host, then I agree to disclose, licensed by the PIPL, the
theory and design of all my inventions. This condition applies to the
real person producing under the pseudonym "Wyl Newland, Inventor"
This is my best way of giving back to the free software community. It
is also the best way I can imagine to assure my designs remain free
from non-free encroachments and that any royalties be properly
directed to the benefit of all concerned.

The PIPL license needs a proper blending of three (3) conditions:

#1 When a work constitutes a public disclosure of a patentable
discovery (Title 35--Patents, U.S. Code http://www.uspto.gov/), the
inventor grants an irrevocable license for the royalty-free embodiment
of that discovery into any device deployed via copyleft distribution
means. The inventor retains all rights for commercial development of
their discoveries and licenses them freely, if and only if, three
percent (3%) of the gross revenues of the sales and service of
licensed commercial embodiments and spin-off products is paid among:
a) local Rotary Club/s, b) Rotary International, c) any of the
projects chartered for the purpose of producing, storing, replicating,
and modifying works licensed by the PIPL, and/or d) The Free Software
Foundation. Upon first public disclosure, any inventor has one year
to file a patent application within the United States, otherwise the
discovery becomes prior art. Covered forms of embodiment include
software and any digital or physical embodiments of the discovery.
Any commercial entity wishing to file a patent application on behalf
of the inventor, must contact the inventor directly to negotiate any
additional terms and conditions; AND,

#2 When a PIPL work constitutes a copyrighted work of any lawful form
(Title 17--Copyrights, U.S. Code http://www.copyright.gov/), that work
is licensed under a named copyleft license
(http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/copyleft.html) or, if the license is
unnamed, the GPL is presumed. If the copyleft includes the work being
translated from one manifestation of copyright to another (from
example, from a written stage or screen play into a public
performance) or in any manner distributed for profit, the same 3%
royalty requirement of condition #1 above applies (for example, from
ticket sales). When any claims of a copyleft license disagree with
the patent principle of the condition #1, then those patent claims of
said copyleft license are voided and superseded by the claims
established by condition #1 above; AND,

#3 When a PIPL work properly claims a proposed trademark (Title 35,
U.S. Code http://www.uspto.gov/), having been properly researched
upon the Internet for possible conflict, that claimed trademark may be
used royalty free and with or without citation in all works licensed
by the PIPL. Said mark may be used within a work and upon a work
subject to the conditions that: a) when the mark is used within a work
not licensed by the PIPL, that work must provide a URL to the root
page of the mark; said root page must itself be a work licensed by
the PIPL; b) when the mark is used within a work licensed by the PIPL,
that work need not provide a URL to the root page of the mark; c) said
mark may be affixed upon works licensed by the PIPL, and d) said mark
may never be affixed upon any work which is not licensed by the PIPL;

In a nutshell, I seek to patent certain business software inventions
and, coincident with initial public disclosure, irrevocably permit
free embodiment within GPL'd software. Without having to sell
individual patent licenses I want to permit the commercial application
of my inventions in proprietary settings with royalties flowing
automatically unto the free software community and/or the Rotary
community, comprised of people most highly valuing service, truth,
fairness, benefit and goodwill among the peoples.

I first posted this request on the FSF's mailing list and gave them
the right of first refusal, should they soon awaken and seek to claim
the PIPL license. That seemed to me the proper and respectful thing
to do. Since I have received no affirmation of my offer I seek now an
affirmation from the Creative Commons and I will rescind my former
offer to the FSF, publishing instead under the creativecommons.org
URL.

Please help the cause by forwarding this email. Please contribute
$10 or more to Creative Commons, 543 Howard Street, 5th Floor, San
Francisco, CA 94105-3013, as a means to help cover their expenses. In
order that the votes will be properly tallied, upon your check please
add the memo note "for the PIPL".
--
Wyl Newland, Inventor
Newland, Minnesota

  • [wsn] PIPL Works of the People, Wyl Newland, 02/06/2005