cc-licenses - embargoing and time-sensitive licensing

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Josh Rosenblum <joshrose AT rosenblums.org>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: embargoing and time-sensitive licensing
  • Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 14:54:47 -0800

General question about constraining the effectivity date of CC licenses.

Suppose I have content, whether music, text, or metadata, which I'd like to release under a CC license, but with the following caveat:

To help pay for the production of this content, I plan first to release it in a limited fashion, charging those who place a high value on freshness of the content. Once the restricted-release period is over, the content would be released under a standard CC license.

This situation is common in time-sensitive, stream-like media such as stock quotes or financial news. However, segmenting markets according to time-sensitivity is also an established way to support the production of static content. I think combining this with CC may provide proper economic incentives in some situations while explicitly growing the _future_ commons.

As I understand, the only way to shoehorn this into the CC view of the world would be to release content under some custom license for the initial embargo period, then re-license it under one of the CC licenses at a future date. This seems kludgey, and perhaps I'm missing something.

Should CC licenses define effectivity dates, it might address this problem. In addition, if the licenses internalized this time-sensitivity, then the content's metadata remains within the purview of the CC RDF/metadata tools from its moment of release.

I'm curious if the CC community has considered this situation and what suggestions y'all might make to accommodate it.

Thanks,

-Josh Rosenblum