cc-licenses - Re: Copyright of XML schema instantiation

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Steven Ericsson-Zenith" <steven AT semeiosis.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Copyright of XML schema instantiation
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 13:45:18 -0800

Well, thanks for that - it is an interesting perspective.

However, I think trademarks do apply to this. For example, if I call my
schema
the B-schema, and B is my trademark, then either I dilute my mark by using it
in
this way or users are required to get a trademark license to advertize the
B-Schema instance. My understanding is that you are required to provide an
explicit license the use the term "B-schema" if you want to use your mark.

It is my understanding that any document authored by me is my copyright -
schema, code or not. The intellectual property associated with any document
I write is also subject to my ownership under law - even if I have not
pursued a
patent, since no one else can patent my ideas if I have published it.

I have done enough work in this area to know that the statement "as UK
copyright
law is concerned, and it should be fairly similar to the rest of the world"
is
niave. It seems most unlikely despite the wide influence of British
common law.

I believe that a prohibition of use of the schema that I have suggested would
be
enforcable in both the USA and the UK. I await to be corrected by a legal
authority.

Don't get me started on patent law ... but ... it seems to me that today's
patent law which provides sweeping protection to a whole range of
intellectual
property is broken significantly in the favor of large corporations and does
not
serve individual inventors. I would campaign to change the patent law in a
number of ways compatible with both the US constitution and the rights of the
individual inventor. But, as it stands, I concede it is broken and immoral.

I am a US patent holder and have personally filed here and in Europe. The
associated costs are an outrage.

With respect,
Steven

Geraint Paul Bevan wrote ..