cc-licenses - Licenses for XML Schemas and the content of associated XML documents

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Steven Ericsson-Zenith" <steven AT semeiosis.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Licenses for XML Schemas and the content of associated XML documents
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 01:07:06 -0800

Dear list,

I am about to release an XML schema associated with one of my projects and
felt
that copyright was the right claim and not an open source license.

I want to make the schema publicly available and encourage others to freely
use
it and generate it but I'd like to maintain some benevolent dictatorship :-)
over derivative works.

So I figured I would go to see what Atom and RSS were doing ... and I see
that
the issues are uncertain and unresolved at best.

In my case I am interested in the science commons approach since the schema
is
the result of research of mine - though it is not clear to me what Science
Commons aims to cover, especially in the fields of computer and cognitive
sciences.

In all these cases we are talking about document metadata.

So I throw it out as an open question for the two cases

1. The XML schema itself.
2. The content in generated instances of the metadata.

Thanks,
Steven

--
Dr. Steven Ericsson Zenith