cc-licenses - Re: derivatives of public domain works

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: derivatives of public domain works
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 08:28:51 +0000
On 26 Jan 2005, at 03:00, Mike Linksvayer wrote:

Bryan L. Fordham wrote:
I'm working on updating the language in a public domain book.
[...]
I'd like to release the finished product under a CC license, but I'd like to check and make sure that it's fine to do that with public domain works. I'm assuming it is, but figured I'd ask first

You can do anything you want with PD works, including CC license a derivative.

But remember that King James is under a special perpetual copyright in the UK:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_James_Bible#Copyright_status

So careful importing any derivatives here. :-)

Peter Pan also gets special provisions in the Copyrights & Patents act, so that's another one to watch out for (in the UK).

- Rob.