cc-licenses - Re: CC License Question

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Branko Collin" <collin AT xs4all.nl>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>, cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: CC License Question
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 10:27:25 +0100
On 4 Jan 2005, at 23:42, Eric Aitala wrote:

> I am wondering if there is a license which would satisfy the following
> requirements, for images -
>
> I create an image file, say a logo...
> Anyone can use that logo for non-commercial uses...
> They may modify that logo...
> They must send a copy of the modified logo back to me to verify that
> it is a non-commercial use...
>
> The reason behind this is that I am attempting to get the University
> Publication Office to create logos (or headers) which can be modified
> by the various groups within the University without having to use the
> standard copyrighted University logos, etc. The Pub. folks seem to
> think that 'copyright' is some sort of magic spell which prevents
> people from misusing the current logos.

I took a peek at <http://www.stijlweb.amsterdam.nl> (Dutch only, it
seems), the online style guide for the departments of the
municipality of Amsterdam and its partners, and they seem to have
taken the approach of not mentioning copyrights at all.

Of course, there are no such things as statutory damages for
copyright infringement in the Netherlands, so infringement,
especially when encouraged by the copyrightholders themselves, would
probably get you a slap on the wrist, unless you used the logo
commercially, or to deceive.

(IANAL)

--
branko collin
collin AT xs4all.nl

  • CC License Question, Eric Aitala, 01/05/2005
    • Re: CC License Question, Branko Collin, 01/05/2005