cc-licenses - Fan-derivative works under Creative Commons?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: DOKool AT aol.com
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Fan-derivative works under Creative Commons?
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 02:37:30 -0400

Greetings, all.

I'm part of the AMV (Anime Music Video) community. The basic idea is like
any other fanvid - purchase existing source (both footage and music), and
re-edit the anime to create... well, just about anything, as more and more
AMVs are starting to rely on editor-created elements, from original effects
to original 2 and 3-d animation.

There's currently a debate among the scene regarding video theft - basically,
new editors taking clips and sequences from other people's AMVs and using
them to create their own. The debate basically falls along several lines...
"I worked hard to make that sequence and some brat just takes it?" "You don't
own the rights to the footage in the first place, why does it matter?" "OMG
DBZ R0XXORS!" etc.

While browsing a recent thread on the issue I thought about Creative Commons,
which I don't profess to know too much about, but I've seen enough CC icons
in various places to remember the gist of it.

The problem is that AMVs, and derivative fan-works in general, fall under
many questions of ownership. Of course, the American licensor owns the
distribution rights to the anime in the US, and the Japanese production
company owns the rights to the show itself. Furthermore, you have an
artist/band who owns the music we use.

So, I suppose the big question is, can our vids be protected in any way under
Creative Commons? It's a tricky ethical issue to navigate, but I'd like to
know what the general feeling is on the issue.

I'd also like to extend the debate to anime fansubs, but for now I'll end my
post and see what people think about fanvids, and perhaps even fanart and fic
in general.

-Dan