cc-licenses - Re: Share Alike and commercial use

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Share Alike and commercial use
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 08:10:42 -0400 (EDT)

Morten Wulff said:
> Now the question is: Will the Share Alike clause conflict with the
> commercial use of the pictures? I.e. can a journalist download and use any
> by-sa-licensed pictures in a story or report without any problems?

share alike will not conflict with commercial use.
A journalist can use a share alike picture without problem.

The only thing is that any modifications they make to a picture
would have to be licensed cc-sa. i.e. they cannot modify a picture
and take it private.

That should not be a problem for a journalist though, since they
probably won't be doing too much artistic modifications to a photo.

> Ideally I would have liked to use the by-nc-sa license, but as far as I
> can tell from reading the list archives that would prevent journalist from
> using the pictures.

cc-nc would prevent a journalist from using the picture
since the newspaper or magazine would be sold for money.

--
Hungry for a good read? Crave science fiction?
Get a taste of "Hunger Pangs" by Greg London.