cc-licenses - Re: GNU GPL vs. GNU LGPL

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: GNU GPL vs. GNU LGPL
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 15:37:47 +0100

On Friday, September 10, 2004, at 03:21PM, Greg London <email AT greglondon.com>
wrote:

>Casey REAS / UCLA said:
>> As far as I can tell, the human readable versions of the CC GNU GPL and
>> CC GNU LGPL are identical. I think there is already confusion about the
>> differences between these two licenses and clarifying within the human
>> readable commons deed would help people to differentiate.
>>
>> As a novice in copyright issues, it took me at least 20 minutes of reading
>> the FSF site to simply differentiate between the two, the LGPL allows
>> the software to be used in proprietary software, while this is prohibited
>> with the GPL.
>
>FSF discourages the use of LGPL and encourages the use of GPL, specifically
>because LGPL allows the software to be rolled into a private derivative
>and GPL does not. So, I wouldn't call that "identical".

But the poster has a point regarding the human readable versions of CC's GPL
and LGPL descriptions. They are -erm- identical apart from the word "lesser",
and do not mention the modular/atomic nature of the LGPL, which is an
important difference as you point out.

- Rob.