cc-licenses - Ad-based revenue of website containing cc material

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Haig Shahinian <hyevoltage AT tmail.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Ad-based revenue of website containing cc material
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 21:00:49 -0400

It might. One major issue is what the ads are for. If they're
something like Google ads that are for unrelated outside services,
that seems more commercial than ads for other content on the site. It
sounds as though the ads are external, since they're generating >revenue.

Yes, google ads as well as some sponsored ads which are external as well.

The difference between "most" and "all" could be significant. In my
mental reconstruction of a hypothetical judge hearing such a case, the
difference feels like it makes a difference.

I am considering donating all excess revenue (net profit) back to the
creators/holders of the cc-licensed material. Again, my primary
interest is not making money from this, but at the same time not losing
money either. As owner and employee of the corporation I would however
consider getting payed a small salary for my time which would be taken
from the revenues and considered part of the operating costs. Since my
income from this corp. would be a direct result of revenues earned
through hosting and delivery of the cc-licensed content, could this be
construed as infringement? My guess is most probably.

--Haig Shahinian