cc-licenses - Re: Statistics of license use

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Statistics of license use
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:04:13 -0700

Ally wrote:
I was wondering whether you had any statistics on the usage of different creative common licenses....and to take it one step further, on the application of these licenses to different creative works - i.e. music files vs photos vs video, etc.
Is this being kept track of, and/or is it accessible somehow?
Thanks!

The creator of NewsBruiser weblog application did some research on his own as he prepared to add CC licensing to his software <http://www.crummy.com/2004/05/24/1> and I pointed him to some better data, resulting in <http://www.crummy.com/2004/05/25/2>.

I can tell you *very* roughly that of documents crawled for <http://search.creativecommons.org> that have document type metadata, it looks like

60% text (web pages, blogs, etc)
10% sound
10% images
10% video
10% "interactive"

I suspect that the vast majority of licensed stuff that doesn't have document type metadata is text, so my completely off-the-cuff guesstimate for all CC-licensed stuff out there is 80/5/5/5/5, modulo arguments over work granularity.

Take all of this with a huge block of salt. Better statistics on license use would be really cool, but has never quite risen to the point of working much on it.

If anyone has ideas for doing independent research on CC license use feel free to post or get in touch, I may be able to provide some guidance.

--
Mike Linksvayer