cc-licenses - Re: 2.0 and iTunes

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: 2.0 and iTunes
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 10:47:05 +0100

On Wednesday, May 26, 2004, at 09:38AM, Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com> wrote:

>If I download my CC'd music via iTunes to my iPod, it will add DRM to lock
>the tune to that iPod. >This seems to breach the part of 4a that says:

Hmmmm. Non-iTMS songs don't seem to have DRM. What happens is that the songs
are in a *hidden* folder on the iPod hard disk, and you cannot connect the
iPod to another user's iTunes (iPods have unique IDs and your iTunes knows
yours) to get the songs the same way you downloaded them to the iPod.

So to get to the songs without going through your own copy of iTunes you have
to unhide the folder. It's (currently...) doable, but you have to know how,
and it sounds like "circumvention" (DMCA/EUCD).

Does *this* interact with 4a? :-)

- Rob.