cc-licenses - Misleading header

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Misleading header
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 17:16:47 -0400

So, the header on the 1.0 licenses says:

This license has been superseded. Check out the <new one>.

When someone clicks on a Some Rights Reserved button on a Wikitravel
page, and they see the license deed that says the license has been
superseded, they could reasonably suppose that the new license applies
to the work that they just clicked through, which is not the case.

I think this may be kind of misleading. I am not a lawyer, and this is
not legal advice, but AFAICT works licensed under 1.0 licenses are
_not_ automatically available under the 2.0 licenses.

Anyways, better wording may be valuable. Something like:

A <new version> of this license is available. You should
use it for new works, and you may want to relicense existing
works under it. No works are _automatically_ put under the new
license, however.

~ESP

P.S. Ugh! I've been dreading this day... lots of work to do to get to
the new licenses.

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
Wikitravel - http://wikitravel.org/en/

  • Misleading header, Evan Prodromou, 05/25/2004