cc-licenses - Re: General Questions about Licensing

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: General Questions about Licensing
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:28:22 -0400 (EDT)

If you trademark something and don't defend it,
I don't think the best way to describe it is to
say it falls into Public Domain so that anyone
can use it and no one can Trademark it ever.

for one, trademark and copyright are two different
things. Trademarks are handled by the patent office,
not the copyright office.

For another, if it >does< fall into a state
similar to Public Domain, then keep in mind
that authors can use Public Domain works to
write new works that are "All Rights Reserved".
I'm not sure if there is a similar possibility
in Trademark law.

I don't think you can Trademark "devilboy"
and then allow it to lapse into public domain
such that no one can ever use devilboy as a
trademark ever again.

At most, a trademark can apply to a specific
product, and you can prevent anyone from using
that trademark to identify their similar product.

Kleenex (tm) tissue paper

The Kleenex trademark applies only to tissue paper.

There has been some stuff happening around the
"Apple" (tm) Music Company and
"Apple" (tm) Computer Company

If I recall correctly, Apple music existed first,
and when Apple Computer came out, there was a suit,
and the result was Apple Computer could have its
own trademark as long as the company didn't sell
music. Then it came up again recently when Itunes
became available.

The short of it is Trademark requires legal work,
whereas Copyright is automatic for the most
passive Author.

I'd recommend finding a Trademark lawyer,
telling him what you want to accomplish,
and follow his advice.