cc-licenses - Re: Beatallica

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Beatallica
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 00:25:40 -0400 (EDT)

David Dixon said:
> Thanks for all your responses.
>
> Evan wrote:
>
>> DD> - Can we legally do this, considering that the material
>> DD> Beatallica uses is copyrighted? There are no samples (except
>> DD> for a little one in "Leper Madonna"...); the music is
>> DD> performed, but the melodic and lyrical references are pretty
>> DD> obvious.
>>
>> As far as I can tell, pretty much no. You have to clear your rights to
>> publish anything, Creative Commons license or no. There may be some
>> exception for parody under the fair use clause of US copyright law,
>> but it's shaky ground to stand on.
>
> I don't understand why the ground is shaky. The Supreme Court, in the 2
> Live Crew "Pretty Woman" case, unanimously agreed that parodies are
> protected speech. The Beatallica tracks are obviously parodies. So what's
> the problem?

That the 2 Live Crew "Pretty Woman" case went all the way to the
Supreme Court should be a HUGE red flag for trouble.
The legal requirement for "parady" requires subjective interpretation,
not just purely objective measures. From a purely physical standpoint,
"parady" and "create derived work" are identical. the only difference
is "intent" which boils down to the subjective decision of a judge.