cc-licenses - Re: Question about ShareALike 1.0

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: David B Harris <dbharris AT eelf.ddts.net>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Question about ShareALike 1.0
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 19:42:17 -0500

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 15:13:14 -0800
Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org> wrote:
> David B Harris wrote:
> > Can you guys ask a lawyer, and if it's true, get it fixed for the next
> > version? You're right that I can offer the appendix to the world under
> > the SA if I hold the copyright, but that's only a last resort - I'd
> > rather they hold it. Obviously there's no chance a new version will be
> > released in time for me to use it, but it's probably something worth
> > doing anyways.
>
> You still don't have a problem. Wiley can offer the appendix to the
> world under SA, and as copyright owners they can still publish it an any
> form they choose, collective work or not.

Right.

Still, for the "list of revisions", I think it's a good thing to ask.
Assuming a lawyer agrees with the interpretation, it's ruling out at
least some uses which I imagine most people releasing under the
ShareAlike would be perfectly happy with (and, indeed, which the
"human-readable" form of the license allows).

ie: specifically releasing a collective work with exactly one
ShareAlike-licensed part and exactly one other Work.

After a while, you realise the pig is enjoying it.

OpenPGP v4 key ID: 4096R/59DDCB9F
Fingerprint: CC53 F124 35C0 7BC2 58FE 7A3C 157D DFD9 59DD CB9F
Retreive from subkeys.pgp.net or risk key corruption