cc-licenses - Re: Changing Licenses, Defaulting Licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Matthew Haughey <matt AT haughey.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Changing Licenses, Defaulting Licenses
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 12:44:14 -0800

On Mar 2, 2004, at 12:27 PM, Brian Clark wrote:
In the process, I stumbled upon a series of questions (that I couldn't find
answered at the CC site anywhere that I thought I'd post to the list) from
some of the stuff at Buzznet (www.buzznet.com), the photoblog site. When a
new user signs up and starts posting photos to their blog through that
service, the system (by default) publishes each of those with a CC public
domain license -- while the user can change that license, they aren't
notified that it is the default setting.

I helped steer the buzznet folks to CC licenses and the docs on how to integrate it with apps, and to be honest I believe they made an implementation mistake by reverting everyone to public domain. By default, new accounts should be all rights reserved, with the option to change it in your prefs (and make it public domain only if you really want to). I've contacted the founder and lead on the project about it in the past but I'll follow up with him today and see if they can get it changed soon.

Matt