cc-licenses - Re: Extra restrictions on derivative works

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per AT leftist.net>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Extra restrictions on derivative works
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:18:16 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Evan Prodromou wrote:
> It seems to me that the ShareAlike stipulations are specifically _not_
> about mixing. If I didn't care about what further restrictions people
> put on my work, I wouldn't _use_ ShareAlike. The sa provision means,
> "I care about how you license your work, too."

Spot on. If I didn't care what restrictions other people put on my work, I
would put it in the public domain, or use the cc-by license.

Doing derivative works from cc-sa as cc-sa-nc defeats the entire 'alike'
part of 'share alike'.

It also worries me how easily cc-sa community projects could be 'polluted'
by extra unwanted restrictions if the general impression is that all cc
licenses can be mixed. A lot of people do not care much about the small
print, just about 'getting things done', and it is already hard enough to
get people to understand what is a derivative work.

- Per