cc-licenses - Re: Linkback URI

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Linkback URI
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:39:56 -0500

GOB> (c) 2004 Glenn Brown. Some Rights Reserved. This work is
GOB> governed by a Creative Commons license. When providing
GOB> authorial attribution please include the URL for this page or
GOB> <http://foofoofoo.com>.

And at foofoofoo.com there's that exact verbiage (or something very
similar), right? That's what I take away from "unless such URI does
not refer to the copyright notice or licensing information for the
Work". If it just refers to the same notice as must be carried with
the work anyways (URI of CC license, copyright info), I guess I don't
understand why you would require people to also carry the
foofoofoo.com URL, too.

Or could you put a lot more stuff at foofoofoo.com, and require

Everyone must join the First Church of Xenu. Here is my
long boring rant about why I love Howard Dean. Please send
me money by clicking the Paypal link below.

[500 more paragraphs of blink-tags, rants, porn popup ads,
and other hoohaw]

If you're looking here for the copyright info for the song
"My Baby Done Left Me (Woo Woo Woo)", it is (c) 2004 Glenn
Brown. Some Rights Reserved. This work is governed by a
Creative Commons license. When providing authorial
attribution please include the URL for this page or
<http://foofoofoo.com>.

I guess what I'm saying is that either the URL requirement is
redundant (the information's already there), or the "unless such URI
does not refer" part is unclear.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>