cc-licenses - Re: Recent questions asked on this list....

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Recent questions asked on this list....
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 13:22:48 -0500

BC> Seems that most if not all of the questions on this list are
BC> serious and need serious answers. There are also a lot of
BC> wonderful projects here that are in legal limbo because of
BC> these questions.

BC> What do you think?

I think a few of things.

1) I think that I really don't want to bother with most of the
questions that are asked on this list. They tend to be on the order
of, "I want to get as much free stuff as I can from suckers, while
denying anyone else in the world any rights to that stuff." Fuck
that. What kind of response do these people want? "You want advice
on how to keep me from using the content you get from other people?
Oh, sure, right away! I'm on that! How can I help?"

2) Most such questions are looking for free legal advice on how to
make a half-free or not-free license. It's kinda in keeping with
the spirit of the question, actually: I want to get whatever I can
out of people from the Internet, without giving anything back. So,
give me free legal advice, too. Fuck that, again.

3) In being totally out of the spirit of Open Content and Creative
Commons, most of these questions are off-topic for this list. The
posters should either spend some time thinking about maybe changing
over to a real Open Content system, and adopt one of the existing
CC licenses, or they should just go get a lawyer to write them the
restrictive license they need.

4) Most state bar associations in the United States have free legal
advice hotlines and legal referral services; checking for "bar
association" in the phone book usually will pull one up. The
American Bar Association also has a Web form for finding local
lawyers and law firms:

http://www.abanet.org/premartindale.html

People should use those.

~ESP