cc-licenses - Re: Need Help with Dual Licensing

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Thomas Uwe Gruettmueller <sloyment AT gmx.net>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Need Help with Dual Licensing
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 21:14:09 +0100

Hi Evan, Glenn, (IANAL TINLA)

The problem I see here is that Evan is not the copyright holder,
but the various contributors. So, in order to change the
license, he would have to ask all contributors, which is quite
impossible, because most of them are anonymous.

The Wikipedia is licensed under version 1.2 or any later version
of the GFDL, whereas Wikitravel is licensed precisely under
precisely version 1.0 of BY-SA. Thus, a license change would
require a restart of Wikitravel.

However, large parts seem to be imported from the CIA factbook
(PD?), and most of the edits seem to be only minor edits
(additions of single words or short sentences) that can hardly
be copyrighted. So, instead of restarting the project in case of
a license change, maybe the few problematic passages can be
color-tagged for replacement or clarification.

On Sonntag 02 November 2003 17:35, Glenn Otis Brown wrote:
> We're planning on versioning this winter, and making our
> share-alike provision more compatible with similar licenses is
> at the top of the list of changes. So rest assured that we're
> on the case. This email will help a lot as we work through the
> draft.

Would it be possible to make this process transparent? Especially
for the improvement of CC-SA it would IMHO be beneficial, if
there were some role playing in a public forum:

a) playing the role of an offender who would like to exploit
loop holes

and

b) playing the role of an artist who shoots himself in the foot
with too strict licensing terms.

The only way to make the license compatible with other licenses
would be to maintain and update a list of licenses under which
the work could be relicensed. This important task would require
a trustworthy organisation, with clear goals and a democratic
structure, maybe something like Debian...

I hope the CC project will evolve into this direction.

cu,
Thomas }:o{#
-- - http://217.160.174.154/~sloyment/ - --
"Look! They have different music on the dance floor..."