cc-licenses - Re: CC License Boilerplate

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: CC License Boilerplate
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 23:18:28 -0400

Me> I understand that there's the bits of text here: [...]
Me> ...but they don't seem to be enough to be compliant with
Me> Attribution licenses, since no copyright (c) notice is
Me> included.

ML> IANAL, and one will correct me if I'm wrong :-), and this
ML> isn't legal advice even if it is correct, but AFAICT no
ML> explicit (c) is required -- X is under Y license is good
ML> enough -- that's what we have on creativecommons.org anyway.

Hmm. Well, a closer parse of the by-sa (the only CC license I'm
scanning closely) seems to indicate that only the URL of the license
is required, and the name of the Original Author and Title if
provided. The programmer in me is averse to not putting in (c) lines,
though, and I'd like to add them if possible.

Me> Am I dumb or just confused?

ML> I'd say neither.

Oh no! It's worse than I imagined! B-) Seriously, thanks for the
thumbs up on the boilerplate.

ML> Would also be cool if you could add embedded RDF to each
ML> Wikitravel page, see
ML> <http://creativecommons.org/learn/technology/metadata/implement>,
ML> or go through the license engine again
ML> <http://creativecommons.org/license/> and copy the RDF

I'm down with Dublin Core, and my partner in founding Wikitravel is a
library science/information architecture type, and she'd kill me if we
didn't have it in there. I have some questions about how to do the RDF
for Derivative Works, since Wikitravel articles can have scores of
authors, but I'll put that in another email.

ML> Great idea there for wikitravel!

Thanks! We're pretty excited about it.

~ESP

--