cc-lessigletter - [cc-lessigletter] Commoner Letter #5 - Mike Shaver

cc-lessigletter AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: An announcement list for letters from Creative Commons CEO/Founder Lawrence Lessig.

  • From: "Lawrence Lessig" <larry AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-lessigletter AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-lessigletter] Commoner Letter #5 - Mike Shaver
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 16:17:47 -0800

The fifth Commoner Letter comes from Mike Shaver.

----------------------------------

My name is Mike Shaver, and I'm proud to consider myself a Commoner. I
work as the Chief Evangelist at the Mozilla Corporation, a part of the
Mozilla Foundation chartered to oversee a project I helped found a
decade ago. Mozilla produces world-class open source software, most
notably the Firefox web browser, but we also produce something else: a
participatory and transparent culture of creation. In many ways, this
is even more important to us than the actual product itself, because
it's what makes the software and a whole lot of innovation possible in
the first place.

When we began the Mozilla project, one of the first tasks that we
faced was to determine the license we would use for our software,
which is to say that we needed to establish the terms under which we,
as a project, would build upon each other's work. This was not a
trivial task, as we wanted to make sure that the code we produced
could be combined with proprietary code, while still requiring that
changes to our code were made available for others to build on. We
were very fortunate to have Mitchell Baker in charge of the process,
and since then the Mozilla Public License and very similar derivatives
have been used on hundreds of open source projects. Mitchell was able
to create a tool for making open source happen, in addition to meeting
our own project's needs, and it's been great to see that work help
others in sharing their code.

Similarly, Creative Commons has produced a set of licenses that helps
not only software developers, but photographers, musicians, authors,
bloggers, videographers, poets, DJs, painters , documenters, and
journalists. This means that anyone who produces a creative work,
which is virtually everyone on the planet, can share their work in
ways that they choose. CC recognizes that different creators have
different needs and expectations, and provides a set of clear and
meaningful choices based on legal expertise and pragmatism. That is a
monumental achievement, given the complexities of copyright law, and a
tremendous contribution to the intellectual and artistic growth of the
world.

The Web has been successful in part because people are able to share
and learn from each other. Unfortunately, people had to individually
learn and understand the interactions of copyright law and their
desired uses in order to effectively and legally build on each other's
work. Creative Commons has changed the game forever, and more people
than ever before understand their options as creators, the value of
contributing to a commons, and the power of building on each other's
work. Even as legislators and industry lobbyists work to erode fair
use and other critical rights, CC demonstrates that copyright can be
used to promote dialogue and shared goals, not just restrict and
confine.

Mozilla is a proud supporter of Creative Commons, and we're glad to
have them as an ally. The Web and the world are much better for their
leadership and vision.

If you'd like to be spared these letters over then next three months,
visit http://creativecommons.org/about/lessigletter#unsubscribe

Alternatively, if you know others who might find these interesting,
please recommend they sign up at
http://creativecommons.org/about/lessigletter

Support the Commons
http://support.creativecommons.org

To link to this message, go to:

Archive of Lessig Letters
http://support.creativecommons.org/letters

Learn about CC, including comics and movies
http://creativecommons.org/learnmore

  • [cc-lessigletter] Commoner Letter #5 - Mike Shaver, Lawrence Lessig, 12/17/2007