cc-lessigletter - [cc-lessigletter] Commoner Letter #3 - Beth Kanter

cc-lessigletter AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: An announcement list for letters from Creative Commons CEO/Founder Lawrence Lessig.

  • From: "Lawrence Lessig" <larry AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-lessigletter AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-lessigletter] Commoner Letter #3 - Beth Kanter
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 14:39:49 -0800

This week's Commoner Letter comes from Beth Kanter, an activist and
strong CC supporter. Beth has shown her support in a variety of ways,
all which help to spread the word about CC and how it has impacted her
own work.

---------------------------------

I am a trainer, coach, and blogger who works with nonprofits on how to
use social media for social change. Creative Commons plays an
important role in my professional life -- whether I'm searching for
Creative Commons licensed photos or music to use in my instructional
materials (http://bethkanter.wikispaces.com) or blogging about the
innovative ways nonprofits are embracing the spirit of openness
(http://beth.typepad.com ).

I recently read an article about fundraising on social networking
sites. One particular quote jumped out at me, "The Facebook
generation wears their causes like the way they wear their favorite
fashion." While technically, I'm probably over the legal age limit to
be included in the Facebook Generation, after all I celebrated my 50th
birthday with a 50th Photo Birthday Card Remix Contest
(http://beth.typepad.com/beths_blog/2007/01/beth50_oh_my_go.html),
nonetheless I'm wearing one of my favorite causes as fashion on my
blog this month.

Last month, I turned my blog pink in support of Breast Cancer. This
month I turned it gray to match the colors of the Creative Commons
logo. But that's not all. I placed the photo of me wearing my newest
Creative Commons T-Shirt on my Facebook profile and on Twitter, you'll
see the Creative Commons Logo with a donate message.

Why?

I have a strong interest in the future of my work and participatory
culture. As an activist and evangelist for Creative Commons' values
and tools, I want to do my part in helping to ensure that our culture
remains as free and accessible as possible.

That's why I remixed the fundraising widget on my blog in support of
the Creative Commons Annual Campaign. I hope you will do the same and
donate too.

That's how much I appreciate Creative Commons licensing, no - love
Creative Commons.

So much so that I release almost everything I do under CC licensing -
with the least restrictive license -- the "BY." That means I've made
it easy to share my work with you and others. I've reaped the
benefits too. My photos, my articles, my videos have literally
traveled around the world. It's helped me build an audience.

I want to make sure that my kids still enjoy this freedom when they grow up.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cambodia4kidsorg/312407445/in/set-72157602810100124/

And I'm teaching my kids about Creative Commons too. Just the other
day, my son had to create a slide show about beavers. So, we searched
for CC licensed photos. I taught him the four different licenses. He's
only 8, but was able to not only tell his classmates about beavers,
but also told them why and how he can use those photos from the
Internet! He's only 8 too!

So, join me in putting the CC widget on your blog, social networking
profile, etc - and tell the world why you love Creative Commons. And,
if you can - please consider making a donation to the Creative Commons
annual fund this year.

If you'd like to be spared these letters over the next two months,
visit http://creativecommons.org/about/lessigletter#unsubscribe

Alternatively, if you know others who might find these interesting,
please recommend they sign up at
http://creativecommons.org/about/lessigletter

Support the Commons
http://support.creativecommons.org

To link to this message, go to:

Archive of Lessig Letters
http://support.creativecommons.org/letters

Learn about CC, including comics and movies
http://creativecommons.org/learnmore

  • [cc-lessigletter] Commoner Letter #3 - Beth Kanter, Lawrence Lessig, 11/12/2007