cc-info - [cc-info] Creative Commons News: Update from Joi Ito, CEO

cc-info AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The Creative Commons monthly newsletter.

  • From: Melissa Reeder <melissa AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-info AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-info] Creative Commons News: Update from Joi Ito, CEO
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 12:37:34 -0700

ccNewsletter September 2009

"Through the podcast and our online music library, we’ve reached hundreds of thousands more people than can attend our concerts live each year in our intimately-sized concert hall. To date the podcast and music library have been accessed by listeners in 116 countries across the globe, from Azerbaijan to Croatia. I’m thrilled that we’ve been able to use the power of the internet to spread classical music, in a way that fits how people live and listen to music today." - Scott Nickrenz, Curator of Music, Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, in an interview about The Concert, a classical music podcast that features unreleased live performances by master musicians and talented young artists, distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works license (Music Sharing) and downloaded over one million times. Read the full interview: <http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/16229>

A note from our CEO, Joi Ito:

Over the last year, we have added a broad spectrum of new users such as the US White House, Wikipedia, Ridley Scott, Merck, Nike, YouTube and Al Jazeera. While the vast majority of people still don’t know about Creative Commons licenses, the community of supporters and users has reached a threshold of adoption where we can now legitimately call CC a global standard.

As custodians of a global standard that continues to add new users in broader geographies, fields, size and numbers, our responsibility to make sure that everything works properly and that we are providing sufficient support to the users becomes our central role. We need to shift the balance of our organization from being mostly focused on promoting the idea of sharing to becoming custodians of a global standard which many organizations depend on every day.

In order to properly work with the new range of constituents, we have decided to flatten the organization. This will serve to increase bandwidth and allow the global community to be more directly involved in projects as well as participate in the management of Creative Commons. This flattening will fold the international process, formally a separate effort spearheaded by International Director Catharina Maracke, into each project and initiative of Creative Commons, so that jurisdiction porting, communication, and outreach will now be a central focus of CC's work in the realms of science, education, and culture. I have asked every staff member and project within Creative Commons to become international, rather than relying on an international spearhead to intermediate every contact.

With the growing responsibility and complexity of our job, I am very happy to have such a thoughtful and active community of supporters. We need your help more than ever and hope that you can share in our successes as well as our challenges.

Sincerely,
Joi Ito
Chief Executive Officer
Creative Commons

Check out our quarterly PDF version of the newsletter, which includes news from the past three months:
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/CCNewsletter

In this Newsletter:

* Anne Wojcicki and Sergey Brin Support CC with $500,000 Gift
* Creative Commons Network "A Truly Inspirational Approach"
* Google Books Adds Creative Commons License Options
* How Can IP Help Spread Green Technology?

Anne Wojcicki and Sergey Brin Support CC with $500,000 Gift
Creative Commons is honored to have received an incredibly generous gift of $500,000 from 23andMe co-founder Anne Wojcicki and Google co-founder Sergey Brin. We are delighted that the couple recognizes the importance of Creative Commons and has decided to invest in our work to support sharing, collaboration, and the spread of knowledge and creativity. This gift – made in addition to the financial support that Google offers CC annually – will be used to support Creative Commons generally, with a focus on developing our Science Commons project, which Wojcicki and Brin are particularly excited about.

Full story: <http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/17209>

Creative Commons Network "A Truly Inspirational Approach"
Have you heard of the Creative Commons (CC) Network? It's a special service we offer that includes an OpenID profile where you can identify your CC-licensed works. Chris Messina recently wrote about the benefits of becoming part of the CC Network and getting an OpenID, and we were honored by his kind and eloquent words. From his post: "What better way to both support Creative Commons and show off your patronage than by identifying yourself across the web with your very own unique, secure, privacy-protecting creativecommons.net OpenID? For a mere $50 minimum donation ($25 for students), you can own a limited edition URL and profile from Creative Commons that identifies you to the world and provides a compelling revenue opportunity for the non-profit foundation. While companies like SAP become OpenID providers for pedestrian reasons like simplifying authentication across their many different distributed web properties, Creative Commons is redistributing the brand equity and social capital their members have accrued over the last several years by letting people show and verify their affiliation to the organization. With this simple example, we can start to see the symbiosis of making an intentional choice about identity: Creative Commons finds a new revenue opportunity and members of the community have a way to express their affiliation and promote the brand."

We hope you will read the whole post, available at:
 http://factoryjoe.com/blog/2009/08/05/openid-the-unseen-branded-revenue-opportunity/

You can also check out Read Write Web’s take on CC Network, following up on Messina’s post: http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/creative_commons_launches_cc_openid_profile.

Full story from Creative Commons: http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/16609
Creative Commons Network: https://creativecommons.net/

Google Books Add Creative Commons License Options
 On August 13, Google launched a program to enable rights holders to make their Creative Commons-licensed books available for the public to download, use, remix, and share via Google Books.

The new initiative makes it easy for participants in Google Books’ Partner Program to mark their books with one of the six Creative Commons licenses (or the CC0 waiver). This gives authors and publishers a simple way to articulate the permissions they have granted to the public through a CC license, while giving people a clear indication of the legal rights they have to CC-licensed works found through Google Books.

Full story: <http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/16823>

How Can IP Help Spread Green Technology?
A recent feature in SEED Magazine asks the question: How can intellectual property (IP) – and more specifically the current patent system – spread green technology? The article, “Who Owns Green Tech?” features replies from five leading thinkers on the matter. Our own John Wilbanks, Creative Commons' VP of Science, was one of those panelists. In his response, Wilbanks challenges the public to not view this conversation of innovation as a black and white situation, but to make room for new forms of innovation in the discussion (i.e. user-driven innovation, open innovation). This idea is at the core of the GreenXchange project, a venture by Creative Commons, Nike and Best Buy to create a marketplace for invention.

Full story: <http://sciencecommons.org/weblog/archives/2009/07/31/how-can-ip-help-spread-green-technology/>

=============
We rely on our supporters to continue our work enabling stories like those listed above. Check it out --

Donate:
http://support.creativecommons.org/donate

CC Store:
http://support.creativecommons.org/store

Join the CC Network:
http://support.creativecommons.org/join

Events:
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Events

Subscribe to the CC Weblog:
http://bloglines.com/sub/http://creativecommons.org/weblog/rss
http://google.com/reader/view/feed/http://creativecommons.org/weblog/rss
http://add.my.yahoo.com/rss?url="http://creativecommons.org/weblog/rss

This newsletter is licensed under
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/ -- please share and remix!

Creative Commons was built with and is sustained by the generous support of organizations including the Center for the Public Domain, Google, the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, the Mozilla Foundation, Omidyar Network, Red Hat, and the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, as well as members of the public.

To unsubscribe from this newsletter, visit: