cc-india - Re: [CC-India] Kerala School text books to be Licensed under Creativecommons, Printing using FOSS Tools

cc-india AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: CC-India Discussion List

  • From: Anivar Aravind <anivar.aravind AT gmail.com>
  • To: Pranesh Prakash <pranesh AT cis-india.org>
  • Cc: Fosscom Network <network AT fosscom.in>, cc-india AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [CC-India] Kerala School text books to be Licensed under Creativecommons, Printing using FOSS Tools
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 23:32:50 +0530

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 11:23 PM, Pranesh Prakash <pranesh AT cis-india.org> wrote:
Anivar Aravind <anivar.aravind AT gmail.com> [2013-11-18 16:03:00 +0530]:
> About SCERT & Kerala Text books,  There official order will take few more
> days . please wait for that
> BTW Swathanthra Malayalam Computing is working closely with SCERT for
> bringing out  HTML, EPUB and PDF versions of all text books .
>
> We are helping SCERT to build a Mediawiki based textbook preparation system
> for collaborative content preparation by text book commitees and  FOSS
> based XeTeX setup for book authoring and PDF/EPUB/HTML generation.  So
> without any technical issues you can start using official Epub versions
> once it is released.

This sounds *excellent*.  Kudos on your fantastic efforts.

Just an Update . This is not happened yet . Official Order is still pending
There was an effort to change the decision of curriculum committee by an expert commitee ( a body which does not have powers to take policy decisions) and this year text books went for publishing without CC license/ XeteX typesetting

But the curriculum committee meeting happened in January again decided same points again and decide to impliment on all text books from next year .
So we need to wait for an official order fom government  .

You might also want to check out Pandoc[1] and Markdown as part of the workflow, and see whether it would fit/make things easier.  While it is not a TeX editor, Pandoc allow people to write in Pandoc-extended Markdown (and LaTeX), which is considerably easier that authoring raw LaTeX, and have it converted and rendered by a LaTeX engine of your choosing, including XeLaTeX.  It can also handle HTML/ePub generation.

The issue here is indian Language support . XeTeX is the only TeX engine with indian language support .  Thanks for the pointer . we will explore Pandoc

 [1]: http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/README.html

--
Pranesh Prakash
Policy Director, Centre for Internet and Society