cc-india - Re: [CC-India] [OT] Voting for a platform for open publishing of children's books

cc-india AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: CC-India Discussion List

  • From: pavithran <pavithran.s AT gmail.com>
  • To: gautam AT akshara.org.in
  • Cc: cc-india AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [CC-India] [OT] Voting for a platform for open publishing of children's books
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 21:10:09 +0200

On 23 October 2013 19:17, Gautam John <gautam AT akshara.org.in> wrote:
> Dear CC-India Users:
>
> I realise that this email is off-topic, and apologise in advance for it, but
> wanted to share it with you because it has an elements that is of interest
> to this community - in particular, openly licensed Creative Commons content.
> I used to work at Pratham Books and remain an advisor to them - this is what
> I worked on over the last five years. [More here:
> http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Case_Studies/Pratham_Books]

<quote>it has been extremely heartening for Pratham Books to see it
come to life – communities have created multiple derivative works
ranging from iPad and iPhone applications, to porting such works to
OLPC laptops, to creating entirely new books from existing
illustrations and creating versions of their books for the print
impaired – from DAISY and Braille books to rich audio books such that
it is closer to fulfilling its mission of reaching every single child.
</quote>

Thats interesting , very happy to know about applications and
especially books for visually disabled people . It defnitely shows the
power of having a CC licensed book and could be shown as example for
more publishers .

On a related note in telugu there is a children magazine which is
released by Kottapalli publications . They are releasing them under CC
BY-NC-SA 2.5 IN License .
http://archive.org/details/kottapalli-63

Regards,
Pavithran