cc-ie - [Cc-ie] Length of copyright

cc-ie AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Ireland

  • From: "Whelan, Darius" <D.Whelan AT ucc.ie>
  • To: "Cc-Ie (E-mail)" <cc-ie AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-ie] Length of copyright
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 09:15:59 +0100

Just to clarify the lengths of the main types of copyright protection in
Ireland.

References are to the Copyright and Related Rights Act 2000
http://www.bailii.org/ie/legis/num_act/2000/2000-28.html

Original literary, dramatic and musical works (s.24) - Life of author, plus
70 years
(Literary works include computer programs.)

Sound recordings (s.26) - 50 years after recording made or 50 years after
made available to public, if later.

Broadcasts or cable programmes (s.27 ,s.28) - 50 years after transmission

Film (s.25): 70 years after the last of the following dies - the principal
director; the author of the screenplay; the author of the dialogue ; the
author of music specifically composed for use in the film.

Typographical arrangements of published editions (s.29) - 50 years after
publication

Computer-generated work (e.g. CAD) (s.30) - 70 years after made available to
public

Original databases (s.24) - Life of author, plus 70 years

Non-original databases (ss.320-361): 15 years

Government copyright (s.191) - 50 years

Making available of a work not previously made available, after copyright
has expired (s.34) - 25 years protection

Where a term of copyright is provided for, the term is calculated from the
first of January of the year following the event that gives rise to that
term. (s.35)

Be careful regarding the "broadcast" category - this is aimed primarily at
live broadcasts. If an item is recorded before it is broadcast, then the
recording may enjoy protection as a film. In addition, the music used in a
broadcast or film needs to be considered separately from the broadcast or
film itself.

Repeat broadcasts do not count (s.20).

Darius

Dr Darius Whelan,
Law Department, University College Cork,
Ireland.
Tel. +353- 21- 490 3452 Fax +353 -21 -427 0690
d.whelan AT ucc.ie mailto:d.whelan AT ucc.ie
Irish Law Site at UCC - http://www.irishlaw.org