cc-hk - [Cc-hk] FYI: Intellectual Property law in China

  • From: "Eric Eldred" <ericeldred AT gmail.com>
  • To: "cc-hk AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-hk AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-hk] FYI: Intellectual Property law in China
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 16:34:53 +0800

Maybe we can use this in our education about CC in HK and China.
The government may or may change IP laws; we can do our part anyway.

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article/shdaily_opinion.asp?id=312881&type=Opinion

World will gain by success of China economic model
By Joseph Stiglitz
2007-04-17

As China moves away from export-led growth, it will have to look for new sources of dynamism in its growing entrepreneurial ranks, which requires a commitment to creating an independent innovation system.

But if China wants a dynamic innovation system, it should resist pressure by Western governments to adopt the kind of unbalanced intellectual property laws that are being demanded. Instead, it should pursue a "balanced" intellectual property regime: Because knowledge itself is the most important input in the production of knowledge, a badly designed intellectual property regime can stifle innovation - as has been the case in America in some areas.

Western technological innovation has focused too little on reducing the adverse environmental impact of growth, and too much on saving labor - something that China has in abundance. So it makes sense for China to focus its scientific prowess on new technologies that use fewer resources. That may require innovative approaches, quite different from intellectual property regimes based on privatization and monopolization of knowledge, with the high prices and restricted benefits that follow.

  • [Cc-hk] FYI: Intellectual Property law in China, Eric Eldred, 04/17/2007