cc-europe - Re: [CC-Europe] Use of Euro NC icon?

  • From: Pam Fisher <p.fisher AT cs.ucl.ac.uk>
  • To: Paul Keller <pk AT kl.nl>
  • Cc: Jane Park <janepark AT creativecommons.org>, CC Europe <cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [CC-Europe] Use of Euro NC icon?
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 15:23:01 -0800

Thanks for the apt comments Paul - completely agree! We would only use the standard $ one in the UK also.  Anything else is unclear and dilutes the meaning.

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 3:08 PM, Paul Keller <pk AT kl.nl> wrote:
We have consciously never used it for two reasons:

1) it is ugly as hell because it is asymmetrical
2) because it looks more like an anti-euro political statement.

>From our perspective the $ based NC symbol works just as well in the EU context as it works in others…
/paul

> On 10 Jan 2017, at 23:43, Jane Park <janepark AT creativecommons.org> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am wondering about the use of the NC icon in Euro, and whether it is in widespread or standard use in Europe? vs. the standard $ with a slash through it. Any info and examples you could give me would be great. See http://mirrors.creativecommons.org/presskit/icons/nc-eu.large.png.
>
> Best,
> Jane
>
> --
> Jane Park
> Director of Platforms and Partnerships
> Creative Commons
> @janedaily
>
> Get updates: http://bit.ly/commonsnews
> Invest in the commons: https://donate.creativecommons.org/

Pam Fisher
General Manager
The Media Institute

5th Floor
One Euston Square
London Media Technology Campus (UCL/BBC)
40 Melton Street
London NW1 2EE
United Kingdom

UK Cell: +44 7734 887620