cc-europe - [CC-Europe] [OER]: Member States Case Studies on Policies for Opening up Education - would like CC contacts to advise

  • From: Gwen Franck <gwen AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: "cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org>, pbacsich AT runbox.com
  • Subject: [CC-Europe] [OER]: Member States Case Studies on Policies for Opening up Education - would like CC contacts to advise
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 16:33:07 +0200

Dear CC Europe,

I was contacted by Paul Bacsich (in cc here), who is looking for policy experts related to Open Education and OER.

TL;DR: if you are an expert on this matter in your country, or can help Paul out with useful contacts, please get in touch with him!

Thanks and have a nice weekend!

Gwen

We need to urgently contact policy-aware people across 22 of the 28 Member States (JRC are handling the other 6 directly) to get up to date information on policies that Member States have on “opening up education”, a DG EAC phrase wider than “OER” or even “open education”, but narrower than “online learning”. (We have had some interesting discussions on where “open access” fits in.)
We expect that staff at several Creative Commons affiliates in Member States are knowledgeable on these matters but for whatever reason (one could speculate), and a bit unlike the US, they do not figure largely on the “lists of OER experts” that we have inherited from DG EAC and various earlier EU-type teaching and learning projects.

So we  hope that you are able to help us with recommendations of CC people in the various Member States with specific knowledge of OER (and open education aspects) from a policy perspective. As you can see from my byline, I and Javiera are co-coordinators of the Open Education Working Group, among our many interests.

The study, called “Member States Case Studies on Policies for Opening up Education”  aims to carry out research and analysis of open education polices at  national and regional levels to support policy in European Member States and at a broader European level.  The ultimate goal is to foster open education in Europe by a) identifying and analysing national-level policies on open education; b) identifying issues faced by decision makers when planning policies on opening up education and c) exploring perceptions of policy makers on what national and EU policies are needed and of possible barriers to national and EU policies on open education.

In the first phase of the study, we aim at identifying relevant existing (or recent) public policies in EU countries that are aiming at “opening up education”. These can be either specific Open Education policies (typically focussing on promoting OER and open content) or more general policies aiming at widening access and participation to education.  We have obviously reviewed the outputs of earlier relevant projects such as POERUP and its predecessors and associated studies, but want to have a completely up to date viewpoint focussed on policies at national or regional level, not at institutional level and not on projects (unless part of national/regional policies).

Specifically, we are looking for the following kinds of policies:

Policies promoting the use of free-of-charge content and open educational resources (OER);
Policies for ICT in education, which contain or imply elements of openness;
Policies for Accreditation/Recognition;
Any other kind of policy aiming at widening access and participation to education.

Note that these policies can be in any Education and Training sector: school, higher education, VET, or adult learning, and that we would like to find out about either policies currently in force or policies that have finished no more than 5 years ago.

We have therefore three requests for you:

Can you please identify one or more public policies from your country, at a national or regional (probably province, rather than municipality) level, that conform to this description, and email me a short (half page or a couple of paragraphs) summary of these policies in English, with relevant URLs?
(if possible) Can you identify a person responsible for this policy in the respective ministry or other public agency, whom we shall interview in the second phase of the study to get an insight on the policy? He/she should speak English.
(Optional) Can you briefly describe other policy developments in your country related to opening up education, or point us to a web page or a report where I can find this information?

We aim at closing this research phase in a week, so it would be great if you could send us some information by next Friday (28 October) via the following email pbacsich AT runbox.com

I am sorry to send you such an urgent request, but this is to fit in with overall European Commission timescales.  I am sure that with your knowledge about your own country it should not take long to identify one or more policies that respond to the above description.

On behalf of the research team, I am available to provide you with any further information you may need.

Please note that this request is quite separate from enquiries that UNESCO are making to ministries concerning OER policies and projects; in particular our study has a broader focus (opening up education) and is to a much tighter timescale. On the other hand, answers here that are specific to OER are likely to be of use in the UNESCO OER-specific survey.

Thanks

Paul Bacsich

Director, Matic Media Ltd - https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Paul_Bacsich/contributions
Senior Consultant, SeroHE - http://www.serohe.co.uk
Co-Coordinator, Open Education Working Group - http://education.okfn.org/blog/
Partner, D-TRANSFORM – Digital Education leadership skills for senior leaders - http://www.dtransform.eu/save-the-date/
Fellow of EDEN (European Distance and E-Learning Network)
Chair of Advisory Board, MultEversity

--
Gwen Franck
Creative Commons

  • [CC-Europe] [OER]: Member States Case Studies on Policies for Opening up Education - would like CC contacts to advise, Gwen Franck, 10/21/2016