cc-europe - [CC-Europe] Input for the all-staff call (today 7 p.m.)? Also: Digest of ITW in Vancouver

  • From: John Weitzmann <johnweitzmann AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: "cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [CC-Europe] Input for the all-staff call (today 7 p.m.)? Also: Digest of ITW in Vancouver
  • Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 16:30:05 +0200

Hi CC Europeans,

below you can find a digest of the In-town week (ITW) that CC staff had in Vancouver two weeks ago. The regions were represented by SooHyun in person and Jessica via video link. It is them you should ask if you have any specific questions regarding details of a certain bullet, as Gwen and I didn't participate in person and thus cannot give a more detailed record on the discussions in Vancouver. Also Senior Admin Mari Moreshead might be able to answer some questions.

There's also another all-staff call coming up today at 7 p.m. European time, so if you want us to introduce something there, let us know in time on or off list. So far the agenda is largely empty, which is to some extent due to the ITW just past.

All the best from
John & Gwen

- - - - - - - - - - - - - 8< - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tuesday 08/11

Summit  - CC HQ roles and goals, sessions, pre-event, timeline/schedule

  • Summit web site (Main Page), Summit Web Site Plan

  • Future of the Affiliates is going to be one focus of the Global Summit this year - the discussion to start now and be spread over the whole three days in several sessions including strategy.

  • Summit program

  • Summit planning process & HQ/Korea harmony - decision making - public announcements (keynotes, themes, technical). How to help.

Affiliate network (Jessica Coates attended by video)

  • Discussion re: supporting affiliates, growing network, creating valuable ways for contribution and collaboration

  • Ryan, Alek, Paul K, Delia (and others) working to plan and facilitate discussion about future of network in advance of, and during summit

Issue based campaigning

  • timothy and rebecca led a session discussing options for issue based advocacy and campaigning. We discussed:

    • what is the purpose of issue campaigns?

    • how do we identify issues that could be leveraged for a campaign going forward?

    • who's involved, who's responsible?

    • how do we leverage different strategies and tactics depending on the type and timing of the issue?

    • how do we utilize the tools at our disposal (civi, blog, email, social media, etc) for maximum benefit? and when do we use what?

  • we also brainstormed rough ideas for issue campaigns - notes here

Wednesday 08/12

Fundraising: Building our strategy and the Big Arc

  • Rebecca Lendl, our new Director of Development led us through different ideas for our fundraising strategy.

Designing the Commons - collaborative product exploration

  • Discussion re: CC technology opportunities

Climb a mountain, eat at a Commoner’s home (Paul Stacey’s!)

  • No to dos, only the glory of those who climbd and the happy bellies of those who dined.

Thursday 08/19

Collaborative working - GitHub, IRC, running social media/comms

  • IRC is working pretty well and we will continue using it

  • GitHub is working for some projects, not others. Plan is to make another collective effort to use it for projects that involve work by more than 2 people.

  • We need to do a better job of sharing the work of running CC’s social media accounts. Right now, Tim is doing the bulk of it. Ryan is going to look into hiring someone to help, and we will explore technical tools that allow others to get involved easily.

Platform Initiative and Membership Model (Jane)

  • Previewed draft of a platform membership model that would incentivize platforms to add CC licensing options for their communities; soliciting feedback from staff/RC’s over next month; plan to surface in CC affiliate working meetings at Global Summit and figure out how to engage global community in this work

  • Gearing up for phase 2 of Platform Initiative, which platforms to prioritize in 2016

  • Prioritizing Wikimedia Foundation platform pilot deliverables in last quarter of 2015, including platform developer and communications toolkit, case studies, platform integration improvements with 6 platforms (see all 2015 activities)

  • Exploring cross-platform opportunities, such as a commons-centered event, remix activity or competition

Collaborative session:

view design outputs, group review, comments and recommendations - Paul (30 min) Outputs from initial design session shared. Comments and feedback sought. Certificate creation funding coming from Gates DOL TAACCCT grant. Need to generate a version of the certificate that can be delivered to Dept of Labor staff (and other government departments) so that they can provide their own support to grantees around CC. Also have a grant funding application in to the Institute of Libraries and Museum Services to create a librarian version of this certificate. Should hear whether ILMS funding comes through in next two weeks. Holding off on broader roll out till hear back from ILMS. Will then communicate to RC’s and Affiliates and seek to form a small committee of people interested in helping shape the design and development of the certificate along with its rollout globally.
  • CiviCRM

Matt Lee showed us a few tips and tricks for navigating this often frustrating system.

  • [CC-Europe] Input for the all-staff call (today 7 p.m.)? Also: Digest of ITW in Vancouver, John Weitzmann, 09/01/2015